WHAT DOES A SOLAR PANEL COST?
Supplying clean, renewable, and cost-effective energy, solar panels benefit both the environment and your wallet. At Solar Brothers, we’re often asked, “How much does a solar panel cost?” Every home is different, and we take a number of details into account to calculate the total cost of a solar system.
Typically solar panels cost between a few hundred dollars to a thousand dollars a piece. To figure out the total cost of an entire solar panel system, you must take several other factors into account:
- Size of the System: This refers to the total size in kilowatts (kW).
- Type of Panel: Will you choose a cost-effective product or a high-output panel with a higher cost?
- Location of Panels: Where will the solar panels be mounted?
- Number of Panels: How many solar panels are needed to generate the necessary amount of energy?
- Number of Inverters: How many inverters are needed to convert the energy collected into electricity that your appliances and other electronics can use?
To determine the total size of your planned system, simply provide the Solar Brothers team with you utility bill for the past 12 months. This will show us how much electricity your home consumes on an annual basis.
Then, if you would like to receive a full quote for a solar system, fill out our questionnaire. This quick and easy form will ask you some basic questions about what you’re looking for, including the type of panels you want, where you plan to mount them, and whether you need to upgrade your electrical system to support solar panels. Our experts will review your information and promptly provide you with an estimate.
The Savings Produced by Solar Energy
Investing in a solar panel system will decrease your carbon footprint and provide you with significant savings over time, but the amount of money you will save depends on your home, your chosen system, your energy usage, your utility company, and more. Most customers find that solar panels help them save thousands of dollars on their electrical bills. At the very least, solar systems prevent customers’ utility bills from rising over time.
When we provide you with an estimate for the cost of your system, we can also provide an estimate for the savings you will enjoy in the years to come. To find out how much you could save, request an estimate by scheduling a consultation.
How Energy Use Affects Solar Panel Cost
Sometimes homeowners are confused by the costs of solar systems. Two houses that look very similar can require very different solar systems, which is why it is important to take energy use into account as you compare solar systems.
For example, picture two neighboring homes that are identical in square footage, layout, age, and construction. The families that live in these homes both decide to purchase solar panel systems, but one home’s system costs twice as much as the other. How is this possible? It all comes down to energy use:
- The first family is a couple without children. They’re quite conscious of their energy usage, so they take quick showers, always turn off electronics that aren’t in use, and try to minimize their reliance on their heater and AC. Their solar panel system is 4.5kW.
- The second family is a couple with three children. They enjoy entertaining, and they like to keep their home chilly in the summer and toasty in the winter. They have two deep freezers in the garage and a plug-in electric car. Their solar panel system is 9kW.
Although their homes are identical, these two families have very different energy usages. The second family requires a much larger system to accommodate their high energy usage, while the first family can get by with a more modest system. Both families will enjoy the benefits of solar energy, but because the second family has a higher energy bill, they will pay more for their solar panels and also save more on their utility bills.
Investing in a High-Quality Solar System
As with any consumer product, it’s important to remember the old adage “You get what you pay for.” There are many manufacturers of solar panels, and they produce a variety of different models. Some panels cost a few hundred dollars, while others are double that. Some panels have a five-year warranty, while others have a comprehensive 20-year warranty. In the end, only you can decide what you’re willing to pay for a quality product with a reassuring warranty and a high level of workmanship.
As you explore your options, consider all the factors that go into the cost of purchasing and installing a solar panel system:
- Product: What is the quality of the solar panel product? What about the other important components of the system, like the inverters?
- Warranty: What does the warranty cover? How long does it last?
- Labor: Who is installing the product? What is the quality of the workmanship?
If you want to save money, you could hire a company that offers a substandard product, uses day laborers to minimize installation costs, and offers a minimally protective warranty . . . But is that what you want? The other option is to select a high-quality product and work with a reputable company that stands behind their products and their installations. This company provides warranties for every aspect of the job, including the products, workmanship, and even potential damage to your roof, giving you peace of mind.
We aren’t saying that one choice is right and the other is wrong, but it’s true that great value comes at a price. As you decide who you want to handle your solar panel system, carefully evaluate what they’re offering instead of just focusing on the price.
Contact Solar Brothers Today
At Solar Brothers, we believe you deserve a top-notch system that will last for decades, which is why we only offer the best solar panel systems, financing options, and installation professionals that we can find. We demand a high level of quality from our products and employees because we know that translates into an amazing value for our customers.
If you have any questions about our solar panel systems, please reach out to us. We would be happy to help you determine if solar energy is a good fit for your home or business.